[ICTs-and-Society] Universal labor or General Labor

Jakob Rigi rigij at ceu.hu
Mon Jul 22 13:07:20 PDT 2013

Dear All,

I work on a concept tentatively called universal or general labor. The concept is borrowed from Marx, Capital vol.3, p, 199, the English translation, Penguin edition. Christian (Fuchs) advised my that general labor might be a better translation for what the English translator had translated as universal labor. Indeed, the concept of general labor is used in Grundrisse. But the concept of universal labor is also used in the Theories of Surplus Value, Part i. In all these three cases Marx mentions the concept, or concepts, in passing and does not elaborate on them.

DO YOU KNOW WORKS BY MARX, MARXISTS, OR ANY ONE WHICH USE THESE TWO CONCEPTS. IF YES, I WILL BE REALLY INDEBTED IF YOU POST THE REFERENCES.

In this stage I am interested in any usage of these concepts.

All the best

Jakob Rigi

P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}