[ICTs-and-Society] statement of alternative informatics about gezi park and social media

Marcus Breen mbreen at bond.edu.au
Tue Jul 9 21:09:29 PDT 2013

Hi Colleagues,

This is a stimulating and important discussion, perhaps a welcome debate?

The description by Seda Guerses of events in Turkey is helpful, as it is always better to have information from the source of the events, especially for those for us who trade in theory. My observation and interpretation of the developments there are that they fit what should be expected in the Internet / postmodern era: many voices, massive fragmentation of information flows, irrational initiatives and responses to physical and material issues. This all makes for a complex set of concerns with possibilities for new political formations, which are currently open ended. This is a helpful perspective suggested by Seda's description.  The possibility for otherwise unlikely alliances will require new ways of conceiving political action within the unfolding demos. The popular front in France pre and post WW2, although deeply compromised, could be referenced here as a model (sans compromise) for how to think about the uprisings. For example, the Muslim Brotherhood cannot be underestimated or rejected, just as Hezbollah and their allies cannot be considered irrelevant. The challenge for political theory in this situation is to reimagine ourselves outside western European / American organisations and new institutional arrangements. This takes a huge amount of mental energy, as I suggested in Uprising: The Internet's Unintended Consequences (2011). There are emerging organizational formations deeply impacted by networked communications which may have little or no resemblance to the prevailing hegemonic western democratic system of government. (I will send a complimentary e-copy of the book to anyone who asks).

I want to add a couple of critical points:

I believe Jakob overstates the digital media in claiming that it determines the form of the organization.  It is an ancillary tool that must be understood within the complex of social, cultural and economic forces, not as the privileged force. Having said that, as scholars of digital life, it is important for us to recognize the way communication now operates. In some cases it primarily operates as an extension of consumer culture - USA, Western Europe, Australia and other places - and is implicated in pending species extinction. In other cases it is central to life - such as in young adults always on line, achieving little in terms of traditional pedagogy, critical thinking and creativity. These kids are participating in the machine with little consciousness.  I take observations of my own children as an empirical foundation for this assertion.

Andrew's wonderful work on Paris 1968 is about a historical conjuncture that pre-figures the Internet and networked communication. (As he noted in a more recent comment to this list - thanks Andrew). Perhaps the more important lesson from Paris is to learn how to organize materially and physically, with all the media available, while realizing that the real action takes place through human agency at sites of action. With Bastille Day next week, we should be mindful that it is the action on the streets that attracts attention and brings change, not Facebook, Twitter and media use alone. It is in the manifestations of pain and suffering of the people that the struggle is mobilised. Everything else may be hot air - and with global warming that phrase has more meaning than it once connoted in Anglo culture, that is, it used to mean too much talking.

For those of you who are not aware of it, Jodi Dean has commentary and links about Turkey and social movements. http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/

My blog is at http://breencomments.blogspot.com.au/

Kind regards,

Marcus

Marcus Breen PhD
Professor
Communication and Creative Media
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
[cid:image001.png at 01CE7D4E.81E98910]
Telephone: +61 7 5595 5035
Mobile:: +61 (0) 4 0005 5316
Facsimile:  +61 7 5595 2545