[ICTs-and-Society] Out now: Unlike Us Reader: Social Media Monopolies and Their Alternatives. Download or order your copy!

Sebastian Sevignani sebastian.sevignani at uti.at
Thu Feb 21 04:43:42 PST 2013

may be of interest for some of you...

Best wishes,
Sebastian.

________________________

Geert Lovink and Miriam Rasch (eds), Unlike Us Reader: Social Media
Monopolies and Their Alternatives, Amsterdam: Institute of Network
Cultures, 2013. ISBN: 978-90-818575-2-9, paperback, 384 pages.

Now freely downloadable as pdf on:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/portal/publication/unlike-us-reader-social-media-monopolies-and-their-alternatives

To order a free print copy of the reader, visit
http://networkcultures.org/publications

Check the book trailer here and feel free to share!
https://vimeo.com/59997671

The Unlike Us Reader offers a critical examination of social media,
bringing together theoretical essays, personal discussions, and artistic
manifestos. How can we understand the social media we use everyday, or
consciously choose not to use? We know very well that monopolies control
social media, but what are the alternatives? While Facebook continues to
increase its user population and combines loose privacy restrictions
with control over data, many researchers, programmers, and activists
turn towards designing a decentralized future. Through understanding the
big networks from within, be it by philosophy or art, new perspectives
emerge.

Unlike Us is a research network of artists, designers, scholars,
activists, and programmers, with the aim to combine a critique of the
dominant social media platforms with work on ?alternatives in social
media?, through workshops, conferences, online dialogues, and
publications. Everyone is invited to be a part of the public discussion
on how we want to shape the network architectures and the future of
social networks we are using so intensely.

Contributors: Solon Barocas, Caroline Bassett, Tatiana Bazzichelli,
David Beer, David M. Berry, Mercedes Bunz, Florencio Cabello, Paolo
Cirio, Joan Donovan, Louis Doulas, Leighton Evans, Marta G. Franco,
Robert W. Gehl, Seda Gürses, Alexandra Haché, Harry Halpin, Mariann
Hardey, Pavlos Hatzopoulos, Yuk Hui, Ippolita, Nathan Jurgenson, Nelli
Kambouri, Jenny Kennedy, Ganaele Langlois, Simona Lodi, Alessandro
Ludovico, Tiziana Mancinelli, Andrew McNicol, Andrea Miconi, Arvind
Narayanan, Wyatt Niehaus, Korinna Patelis, PJ Rey, Sebastian Sevignani,
Bernard Stiegler, Marc Stumpel, Tiziana Terranova, Vincent Toubiana,
Brad Troemel, Lonneke van der Velden, Martin Warnke and D.E. Wittkower.

Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2013
ISBN 978-90-818575-2-9

---
Miriam Rasch, MA
Institute of Network Cultures
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences | HvA
room 04A07
Rhijnspoorplein 1
NL-1091 GC Amsterdam
t: +31 20 5951865