[ICTs-and-Society] Uppsala conference report

Kaarle Nordenstreng Kaarle.Nordenstreng at uta.fi
Mon Jan 7 08:37:15 PST 2013

Dear colleagues,

My response to Lazlo a while ago was written before seeing Ursula's
flash in the list. She has a point but so have Lazlo and Niels Ole,
who -- like me -- just made a polite reminder of earlier research
tradition. Naturally we who have been personally involved in earlier
research often overemphasize its significance, but the scholarly
community has also an unhealthy tendecy to forget about "the shoulders
of our predecessors".

Ceterum censeo: sharp debate is welcome, but too sharp and personal
turns are not conducive to a healthy growth an academic field.

With best regards,
Kaarle