[ICTs-and-Society] (no subject)

Unwin, Tim Tim.Unwin at rhul.ac.uk
Sun Mar 4 21:22:18 PST 2012

Colleagues

Just to add:

The ICT4D Collective and the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation are hosting a half day session on mobiles, social media and democracy at the ICTD2012 conference in Atlanta on the morning of Thursday 15th March.

Thanks to Caitlin Bentley, the session will be streamed ( http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ict4d), and we are encouraging live participation and interaction through Twitter.  All relevant tweets will be posted onto the screen during the session, so those not able to be there in person can participate.  We will be using the hashtag #SocMed4Dem, but if you wish to engage with wider debates you might also like to use these tags as well #socialmedia, #democracy and #ict4d.

The session will begin with a debate around the theme of whether social media are an effective way of enhancing democracy (with contributions from the ITU, Tinopolis, al Jazeera and others), and this will be followed by a series of round table discussions.

Please spread the word!

Best wishes
Tim